Hello students! With this Illustrator typography project, you might want to consider downloading custom typefaces! Here is a great website that has thousands of options – DaFont
How to install:
1.Sift through to find a typeface you like
2. Press the “download” button
3. Find the file in your “downloads” – double click the .otf or .ttf file to instal in your FontBook.
4. Once installed in your FontBook – you can use the font on any platform on your computer!
Our next project will challenge the following skills:
- Learning basic skills in Illustrator (pen tool, drawing on a path, installing a typeface)
- Creative expression through Self Portraiture
Two things you need:
- A photo of your face
- Text – could be a series of words, song lyrics, a poem, a combination of all
Once you gather your photo and the text you will be using, we will go over basic Illustrator pen tool skills.
The PEN tool – the pen tool is one of the most important tools to master in Illustrator. Throughout the semester you will get better at the pen tool, but only with lots of practice!
Setting up new document
Selection vs. Direct Selection
Pen tool basics: add, subtract, convert, handlebars, curves, pencil
Good link on drawing basics
Fun interlude: Play this game for a few minutes to practice the pen tool 😉
More pen tool resources:
Pen tool tips
Other general Adobe Illustrator tutorials
Really good Type on a Path tutorial video